Lessons From The Men In My Life

Over the past few months I have been increasingly surprised and blessed by the men in my life. On a walk today, I started listing all the lessons I have learned from them. Here are a few.

1) Listen (and turn your phone off).
    One of my friends in particular has demonstrated this to me again and again. I'll never forget the first time he sat down and really listened to me. His phone went off three times, but he didn't even look at it. He gave me his full attention. Now, whenever I am listening to someone I turn my phone off too.

2) Don't Worry About Money.
    I learned this lesson from a friend over the summer. I told him how worried I often feel over my lack of money. He looked at me and said, "You know, I've just decided not to worry about it. God will handle it." He is right. After a year and a half of seeing God provide money over and over again, I have decided that it is best not to worry about it. Instead, I can be excited to see how God is going to provide.

3) Dance.
     (I think this one speaks for itself)

4) Be More Objective
    Piano lessons are where a lot of my inner self is revealed, even if I do not realize it. One day, my piano teacher told me, "I've noticed that you become very emotionally involved with your pieces. This is not a bad thing, but if you allow yourself to be swept away by all of that emotion, it will hinder your performance. You need to be more objective. Be in the moment, but know where you are."This idea of objectivity carries over into the rest of my life as well. I am often controlled by my emotions, instead of seeking God's wisdom. The only way to live in the moment and yet know what I am doing is to be fully surrendered to the will of God, and trust His leading, not my feelings.

5) Articulate, Articulate, Articulate
    In talking to the men in my life I often have to say things in a different way than I would with my girlfriends. For example, if I am talking to a girl about my day, I can mention school, my hair, chocolate cravings, another friend's mood, and a Bible passage within seconds of each other. My girlfriends will understand because with girls everything relates back to everything else. I articulate things differently with the men in my life because they can not understand what on earth chocolate cravings have to do with another girl's mood, or the Bible for that matter. The men in my life help me to articulate better and to process my thoughts in a different way.

6) Give Sincere Compliments
       I have a mental file of compliments I have received over the years from the men in my life. I remember exactly where I was and what I was wearing when they were said. Sometimes I open that file and all the memories run across the screen of my mind like a film montage...I am 9, sitting by the river on a sunny day, and my brother says, "Hey, Rach, you're going to be really pretty when you grow up,"...I am 15, going down to swim, and someone tells me, "You're the highlight of the day,"... I am in high school, wearing my hair in a French braid, and a boy says, "Hey, I really like your hair,"...I am in college, wearing my favorite cardigan, and a classmate tells me, "Rachel, you look so nice,"...I am in junior high and a math teacher tells me that I should be playing piano for church because, "you have a gift,"...I am a senior, and a friend tells me, "When you play it never sounds like you mess up. It always sounds good,"...I am 16 and my Dad sends me a note for Valentine's Day, "You are beautiful,"...
     I have learned to be sincere in my compliments because the men in my life have blessed me with their sincerity.

7) Make Music, and Do It Well
     I would be remiss if I did not mention the men of the JBU music department. Since my first day at JBU they have continually inspired me to develop my talents for God's glory and share this gift of music with everyone. They don't allow for sloppiness, though. "Bring your finest offering" is the unspoken command. I pray that God will help me learn all I can from these men, and I thank Him for them every day.

      Thank You, Lord, for making all these men and bringing them into my life. Thank You for all the lessons they have taught me and are going to teach me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Poems, & A Few Thoughts

Means Less

Current