Between Two Freeways

Do you remember that night years ago
When we stood between two
Freeways?
I don't usually care to think of that.
Do you remember how the darkness
Sat around us while light streamed on
Above?
It all smelled of cigarettes and trash.
Do you remember what you said,
How brightly we dreamed at winter's
Midnight?
We were foolish then, and young, especially you.
I remember how you gave me wisdom,
With kindness and consideration for my
Fears.
You were always afraid then, weren't you?
I remember that you said God
Could work in and through my
Doubts.
God and I were on good terms then.
Life had not happened yet.
I remember how hopeful you were, 
How even roaring cars kindled your life giving
Ideas.
Yes, well, ideas and hope were nice things back then.
Look, I've gotta be somewhere.
Later.
While I went one light filled way, you went
Nowhere.
I pray you will remember and find strength to leave
That prison. Wave your hand and catch a
Ride.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Poems, & A Few Thoughts

Means Less

Current