Candlelight

This was my second year to perform in JBU's annual Candlelight service. The experience was a blur of memories. Here are a few:

I remember leading devotions the first night and praying over all the girls in Women's Chorus section by section. I looked at each of them when I prayed their name, marveling at how unique they all were even when they stood before me dressed in identical black dresses with their heads bowed in unison.

I remember the thrill of that first step into the Cathedral. I was the last choir member to enter, which made me feel special.

I remember how nervous I was during the first rehearsal. My hands started clenching up because I wasn't breathing properly.

I remember how Lindsey's face glowed as she passed the flame to my candle before Silent Night.

After two nights of listening to the Cathedral Choir sing "Incarnate Love", I discovered that they were singing about elephants and mosquitos. A suppressed giggle vibrated down our row during the final performance of that song.

I remember picking out my friends in the crowd each night and singing the carols to them.

I remember forgetting everything else except the motions of Kate's hands and the expressions on her face. What did I do to deserve such an incredible conductor and friend?

I felt such relief when I saw my parents making their way towards me through the crowd. After a year and a half of wishing they could be here to hear me sing and see my life at school, God made a way for them to be here.

I remember the way Mr. Funk's face lit up on the final night when the choir sang Gloria. When it was over, I looked at Lindsey and we both said, "Wow" with our eyes.

I discovered during the final performance of Silent Night that the windows in the Cathedral make beautiful reflections on the ceiling when they have candles near them.

I remember how much fun Womens' Chorus had hanging out watching Julian Smith and Mock Rock videos on Youtube before the show.

I remember the taste of the Wubbenas famous chocolate mint cookies at the after party.

Glory shone around the entire evening. I am so thankful for God's presence, and the gift of music.

Comments

  1. I am so glad I took part in a lot of these things, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two Poems, & A Few Thoughts

Means Less

Current