To Where I Want To Be

          The packing barely took a day.
          I filled the boxes quietly.
          All the colors of my life
          Fit so well, so neatly
          Into their square allotted
          Spaces.

         If only life were like that,
         I sighed into the silence.
         If only everything had its small allotted
         Space, and never strayed outside its
         Lines.

         But life is never square,
         No matter what the classicists say.
         Life is a set of circles upon circles,
         Every color bleeds into the next,
         Like rainbows dripping in the
         Sun.
  
        Give me no squares and no lines,
        I said in my head.
        Let me have arches of living gold
        To lead me from the places I've been
        To where I want to
        Be.
      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Poems, & A Few Thoughts

Means Less

Current