Just the World

         "Micah, what do you do when you're depressed?" I said. It was lunchtime in the cafeteria.
         "I don't get depressed," he said. Micah is one of the most concise people I know. His words come out like his math calculations: short and to the point.
         "Why not?" I said. Depression is something I think everyone experiences on some level because we all have so many expectations about life that do not get fulfilled.
         "Why should I?" Micah said.
         "Because the world is depressing, Micah."
         "No it's not."
         "Yes it is."
         "No it's not."
         "Yes, it is," I said. What was he getting at? Of course it is depressing.
         "Not it's not. It's just the world," he said, smiling in typical Micah fashion as if to say, "You silly girl."
        I sat there, thinking and thinking. The realization came to me that I have been blind all along. Granted, the world is a sad place full of sin and all the evil that comes from it. Yet, there is someone who has the power to overcome that sin and rescue me from my depraved state. He has suffered much so that I may suffer little. He has searched for and found me when I was lost. He has rescued me when I was trapped. The awful truth is that every day I take this incredible miracle of salvation for granted. I look at all the rampages of sin and I say, "I can't take this. I can't do this. It's too much," forgetting that Jesus himself has already taken my burden on Himself. For Him, it is no trouble since He has already overcome the world.
      When all has been measured and weighed, the world is, as Micah said, just the world. The thing to remember is that God is not just God. He is the God, and He is bigger than any depression I will face today and tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Poems, & A Few Thoughts

Means Less

Current