The Convent of Saint Arbucks

The Convent of Saint Arbucks is located where the road of Moreland crosses the Fields of Dela. We are a small, but important place of service in the community. Without us, the spiritual energy of the place would no doubt drop to a very low degree, as would the overall happiness of the surrounding populace. We may be few, but we are fierce in our protection of Saint Arbucks' shrine.

Every day, the local laity come to the shrine to pay their respects. Most stay only a few moments, while others sit and meditate with great concentration for many hours. Sometimes I wonder if they are truly here to think about Saint Arbucks and her generous ways. If they were, would not their contribution to the convent be much greater?

My habit is green and black. Some of the other nuns wear white to demonstrate their cleanliness in service, but I have no such aspirations. I do not wish to be reminded of my own shortcomings through incurred mocha stains.

We take visiting monks sometimes. We even have a young one coming to stay with us (it's his first assignment). Most of them, though, are unable to handle our commitment to the Saint and her ways. One monk actually gave up his vows in the middle of service one day, saying to one of our most dedicated nuns, "You stress me out! I quit!" We don't talk about him much, other than to express grief over his lack of fortitude in the face of frappucino duty.

On a good day, I feel myself nearing the blessed Arbucks' saintliness, giving a friendly smile and well made beverage to each and every soul who enters our doors. Surely everyone is kind, and should be greeted with the love and joyful exuberance they deserve. On bad days, I think Saint Arbucks must not have had very many witches in her coastal community. There are a great many in our area, and many of them seem awfully young to be treating nuns with such open disdain.

But these thoughts are few and far between, coming only every couple of hours. I am blessed to serve alongside a lovely group of diverse nuns, all of whom share my desire for cleanliness and a love for the dear Saint and her ways. Today, as the fresh coffee grounds floated into the sunbeams and I smelled yet another delicious reminder of our saint's generosity, I thought, "Thank you Saint Arbucks. Today is a good day to be a nun."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two Poems, & A Few Thoughts

Means Less

Current